Minnesota Ice

We will be inspecting ice conditions in the Ashby MN area tomorrow 11/26 (North arm of Pelican and Lake Christina)... and will post observations on this site.

Local temperatures have been below freezing for 72 hours and the forecast is favorable. Cool & dry for most of the next week. At 10:30 pm, last night we observed ice from shore, in near calm conditions and 22 degrees F, could not discern how much of Pelican Lake (Ashby, MN) was indeed frozen, Ice at the public access marginaly bears weight. Ponds in the area which freeze ~ concurrent with Christina are frozen.

Contingent on what we find, some may attempt a first sail on Sunday 11/28.

think ice


Ashby MN, Ice - Christina... She's back!

I briefly walked on both the north arm of Pelican Lake and on Lake Christina in the Ashby MN area this morning.

Observations: Local temp 28 F, First Snow last night, ~ 1/4".

Pelican's main body is over 60% frozen, the customary very early fish houses in the gap between the main lake and the north arm are not yet there, (they generally appear the same day we do) The north arm where we sailed last fall is substantially frozen, the same three holes on the west end are visible, water stains show the cracks along the north shore along the highway. The lake is 20% snow covered in 1/4 - 1/2" drifts that will not be noticible when sailing.

Christina's sailing area is 100% frozen, the ground is not yet frozen and the edges are soft. Again here, the snow cover on the entire lake speckling the ice like the side of a Northern Pike. Uniform 1/4 - 1/2" drifts covering about 20% of the ice, no water stains appear in the snow, no cracks or open water are visible.

The ice at both is optically clear and very smooth, (Ashby Resort on Pelican, and Milepost 8 on Christina) bearing my weight, cracking under a good stomp but not failing. It appears to be 1 1/4" or so thick, there may be a more, but that's as deep as the cracks appeared.

Our local forecast for the next 48 hours, we'll continue making ice, there's some risk of additional snow over the next 24 hours, but it appears to be staying north of the site right now.

Tomorrow may warrant examination under sail, Sunday ought to be a "pretty good bet" for a great fall sail. If I were free to sail, my choice would be Christina, the way she froze she wants to dance with all the boys, I alas, cannot dally with her this week. Either the north arm of Pelican or Christina ought to be fine.

I expect there will be boatable ice choices available for the Western Challenge Regatta.

Think Ice