2015 DN Western Regional Championship CALLED ON

The 2015 Westerns is called on for Jan 3-4, 2015.
Primary site is Lake Kegonsa near Madison Wi. Ice has been sailed the past few days and rates a 9.95.
Lodging deals and launch site will be posted by Dec 30, 9AM.

Back up ice options in case of snow include:
Puckaway, Poygan, Winnebago, Onalaska, and Petenwell.
Lake Christina at Ashby is also in good shape, not sailed and will be considerably colder than Wi sites.
Green Lake at Spicer has been sailed and reported to have some new stiff snow covering the lake.
Should anyone have first hand reports, please let me know at 612-868-2949 or miller.m@mchsi.com

Mike Miller

Westerns Final call delayed until Friday at 9AM

The final call for this weekends Western Regional will be delayed until 9AM Friday Jan 9. This will allow a final check of ice on Lake Geneva, WI. Current conditions on a large sheet of new ice about 1.5 miles by 2 miles is optically clear hard black ice about 4 inches thick and growing. The sailing area would be to the north and west of Linn Rd. Snow has just started in Geneva with anywhere from 1-4 inches predicted on the various weather sites along with 20-25 SSW winds all day and into the evening. Snow should end by 9PM.
It is difficult to predict how much of the new snow will blow off the glass ice. The ice will be inspected by 8:30 AM Friday morning. The updated temperatures, driving conditions and wind forecast will be evaluated for Sat & Sun at that time before making the final call.
Time changes if it happens this weekend:
Registration at Hotel Headquarters: Fri 8-9PM and Sat 9-10 AM
Late Registration at launch site 10:30- 11
Skippers Meeting at Headquarters Hotel or launch site at 11:00
First Race 12:30 PM

AGAIN FINAL CALL 9AM FRIDAY JAN 9

Mike Miller

Mike Miller
US5369

Western's POSTPONED

The 2015 Western's are postponed to Jan 10-11 or Jan 17-18, 2015
Weather conditions predicted for the primary and backup sites are not going to be suitable for a 2 day regatta.
Don't forget to cancel any hotel reservations you may have made!
Please continue to inform me of potential sites in our entire region over the next 3 weeks to assist me in ice finding good ice for both the Western's and back-up ice for the scheduled Gold Cup and NA's set for Jan 25-31.
612-868-2949 or miller.m@mchsi.com

Mike Miller
US5369

DN 2015 Westerns ????

No solid ice yet for this weekends regatta.
Geneva, Green and Marinette(Green Bay) all had possibilities yesterday and earlier today but the heavy winds(and more on Wed) appears to have diminished the chance of having sailable ice by Sat morning. There is also a good chance of some snow on Thursday in those areas.
Photos, taken this morning from 2 sources in the Brainerd Lakes area of Minnesota look promising. At this point we do not have any sailors in that area and with 40 below windchills on Wed, no one to scout it. The cold weather is predicted to hang on into the weekend for all sites.
For now the Westerns are on hold, pending a primary site decision. Final decision to be made by Thursday noon.
If anyone has ice to report, phone me at 612-868-2949.
Mike Miller

Mike Miller
US5369

anything new freezing in wis after mon night for 1/10?

lets hope!!

2015 Westerns Update

Westerns remain called on for Kegonsa. The weather models all point to snow developing Sat afternoon with possible 2-5 inches by Sunday morning followed by wind and dropping temps. If the timing of new snow holds off a few hours on Saturday we are good. Updated forecasts may change the timing of the snow.
Due to the timing, Final Call will be made at 6 AM Friday.
NOR schedule change:
9:15 AM Sat - Skippers Meeting
10AM Sat Gold Fleet Start
All backup locations of Puckaway and Petenwall both have similar forecasts.
Poygan and Winnebago do not have regatta quality ice and have similar snow forecasted.
Lake Onalaska is out due to permit issues with the Federal Wildlife authorities.
Minnesota has no suitable ice and snow and cold wind arrives there Sat.
Again stay tuned for final call at 6 AM Friday.
Mike Miller

Mike Miller
US5369

Lodging and NOR update

Copied from official website of DN America.

Primary site is Lake Kegonsa, near Madison Wi. Launch site is Springers Restaurant and Bar at 3097 Sunnyside St, Stoughton, WI 53589. A large parking lot is adjacent with easy walk over a wooden ramp to the lake. An alternate launch ramp is located 1 mile away at Town of Pleasant Springs Boat Launch, 2267 Williams Point Drive, Stoughton, WI. $5 per day parking charge. Arrangements are being made for possible towing trailers by ATV from the ramp to Springers ( more later). DO NOT DRIVE ON THE ICE WITH VEHICLE
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Springers/@42.979461,-89.243701,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8806457f0d5b383f:0xfe4e8c90f2167d1f

Springers also has a great Friday evening fish fry on your own.
Plans are being made to host a dinner party Saturday evening. Watch for details.

LODGING
Regatta Headquarters
Country Inn & Suites
400 River Pl, Madison, WI 53716
(608) 221-0055
Ask for iceboater rate of $74 for standard room, King or 2 queens
http://www.countryinns.com/destinations/property.do?hotelCode=WIMONONA&d...

Americ Inn
Ask for iceboater rate of $79.90 for a Std room
101 W Broadway, Madison Wi 53716
(608) 222- 8601
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//43.04781,-89.324722/@43.048117,-89.3263468,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ask for iceboater rate of $74 for king or double queens
4802 Tradewinds Pkwy Madison, WI 53718
(608) 221-8100

Registration to be held at Country Inn, Regatta Headquarters Friday 7-8:30PM(note time change from NOR) or at Springers launch site with Deb Whitehorse(vehicle parked next to Springers, or indoors in the bar) 8-9AM Sat.
You may also register on line. If so, all that's needed is to show insurance and pay your $35: https://ice.idniyra.org/racing/registration/2015/Western_Region_DN_Champ...

REMEMBER: Current IDNIYRA Membership of $25 paid in full is required. IF you are new and need to join, or need to pay up, you can do that on site or on the IDNIYRA site. https://ice.idniyra.org/

IMPORTANT: To participate, you must show proof of Liability Insurance (minimum $300,000) this is usually in the form of homeowners insurance or renters insurance. (Your automotive policy will NOT work for this purpose).
Please contact an experienced DN racer or a representative of the IDNIYRA to clarify if you have any questions.
There is also a method to update your insurance information on line at the home page of IDNIYRA

Mike Miller
US5369