Great Western Challenge Regatta - Plan Discussionb

Abundant sailing opportunities today in Minnesota, DNs will be sailing on Swede Lake near Watertown, MN, Cedar Lake beteen Sauk Center and Long Prairie, presumably Ottertail, near Perham and Lake Jenny near Hutchinson, undoubtably other locations as well.

As usual, we're watching a developing low pressure system that promises to be a rain/snow event across the southern region of our ice, and maybe 4-6" on Tuesday... of course there's some uncertainty as to what form it will fall around the primary candidates.

As of this time, Buffalo Lake, Buffalo, MN is the "primary location" I have in mind. For you purists, Lake Washington, Dassel MN is regatta grade today, ~4" ice with 1/2-3/4" of wet snow cover. This snow will melt over the next 36 hours, get rained on, and possibly snowed on after that. It's half an hour farther west than Buffalo, MN on US12.

I'm tracking a dozen or so lakes which may turn out to be suitable, given the cold forecast to follow this event, we may have other deeper lakes freeze on Tues/Wednesday.

A primary site will be announced this evening on and on facebook. Stay tuned, and let us know what you're looking at. We will find a great sheet of ice!

The Great Western Challenge, it's always epic!~

Carpe DN!


Its an interesting forecast & Lodging Plan

Based on what we saw todays temps and forecast temps, i'm doubtful Buffalo will be suitable for sailing by friday.

There's fair uncertainty in amount and type of precip, but a fairly narrow band of 4-6" snow seems possible.
Ice reporter volunteers are needed for final site determination on wednesday, the lake will be thoroughly sailed on thurs as well.

Ideally, we'd have another candidate lake curly suitable to our north east, so i'm looking in that direction for another backup site.
It would make lodging planning easier if we had adea how many rooms were needed. I'll reserve some number of rooms at the HQ hotel, likely filling it.

Sailors wanting to stay at the hq hotel, are asked to contact The IceMaker!

Alternate lodging sites will be posted.

Assume ur not at the HQ hotel unless I'm notified.

Contact- mark (at)
skype- markkiefer
cell-sms 612.868.7947

cold tues night

buffalo may be safe by friday am.

ya xxxxx

Tonight: Rain and snow,

Tonight: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 9pm. Low around 19. North northwest wind between 5 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow likely, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 20. Wind chill values between zero and 6. Blustery, with a west northwest wind between 15 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

It might be safe. It might be suitable.

Volunteer Ice Reporters are needed to check both Buffalo and Lake Washington on Wednesday to see what remains.


Sunday sailing!

13 DNs 3 kites and a Nite are ripping on Swede Lake right now, 4 more are setting up. 37 f, gusting right up there to full tilt boogie.