Green Lake, Wi provided 36 Midwest DN racers a real treat. 9.5 ice conditions, temps in the mid 30"s and winds from 9-17 MPH over 2 days on a fast surface. We tried something new as there was only one sailable course to use, the Nite Nationals was held with the DN Westerns. They had one of the largest Nite Fleets in years counting 31. The DN's had 36 racers so both Silver and Gold started together and we split out the results and trophies based on their fleet registration designation. 7 races for the DN's and 8 for the Nites on a great 1 mile course.
Scott Brown from Lake Minnetonka won his second consecutive Nite National Championship today. He defeated former National Champ Terry Erwin and Will Perrigo, who finished 2 and 3, respectively. Scott demonstrated incredible speed and amazing consistency as he won 5 of the 8 races sailed.
The two day regatta was held on Green Lake Wisconsin under ideal race conditions. Near perfect ice and a strong breeze put big grins on the faces of the 31 competitors who sailed the event.
Green Lake, Wi.: DN Western Champs and Nite Nationals.
Awesome ice. 2 mile by 2 mi sheet. Hard. Smooth. Black. Clear. Fast.
Still time to get here. Winds forecasted at 10 to 14.
DN sharing course with Nite fleet. Bald Eagle IYC here in full force with 10 Nites on the line. Also showing some fast moves at Norton's bar.
See you in the morning. Should be an awesome day!
Mike Miller here,
Looking for a fellow DN racer who wants to share an enclosed trailer Friday morning to drive to Green Lake Wi. I have a great Tahoe tow vehicle and a room to share at the Heidel House in Green Lake.
The ice sheet is great with good winds and warm temps predicted.
Give me a call or text at 612-868-2949
The 2015 DN Western Regional Championship is called on for Green Lake, Wi for Jan 17-18, 2015.
The center and west end of the lake froze over on Jan 10, 2015. A photo and look at the ice appears good. It is still too thin to sail. It is expected that cold temps the first part of the week are suitable for solid ice for scouting by Wednesday. An update will be provided by Wed eve and a Final Call on Thursday or sooner.
New ice has formed on the west end of Green Lake opening the door for the Nite National next weekend, January 17,18. It's so new that it hasn't been sailed, but three more days of very cold nights are in the forecast. The ice will hopefully be sailed sometime Wednesday afternoon with a FINAL CALL to be made Thursday by noon.
It's hoped for a big turnout from the Minnetonka and Bald Eagle fleets.
Of note -- the DNs are also looking for ice next weekend, and there's the possibility of rotating races on the same course. That would be cool -- and different. So be ready. Visit niteracing.org for official updates.
Westerns Final call delayed until Friday at 9AM
The final call for this weekends Western Regional will be delayed until 9AM Friday Jan 9. This will allow a final check of ice on Lake Geneva, WI. Current conditions on a large sheet of new ice about 1.5 miles by 2 miles is optically clear hard black ice about 4 inches thick and growing. The sailing area would be to the north and west of Linn Rd. Snow has just started in Geneva with anywhere from 1-4 inches predicted on the various weather sites along with 20-25 SSW winds all day and into the evening. Snow should end by 9PM.
I have a rocket for sale. Nice mast. I just don't have a need to hang onto this one.
612- Eight four Zero 985 five
Register for the Gold Cup World Championships ( https://ice.idniyra.org/racing/registration/2015/Gold_Cup_DN_Championship ) and the North American Championships ( https://ice.idniyra.org/racing/registration/2015/North_American_DN_Champ... )
The 2015 Westerns is called on for Jan 3-4, 2015.
Primary site is Lake Kegonsa near Madison Wi. Ice has been sailed the past few days and rates a 9.95.
Lodging deals and launch site will be posted by Dec 30, 9AM.
Back up ice options in case of snow include:
Puckaway, Poygan, Winnebago, Onalaska, and Petenwell.
Lake Christina at Ashby is also in good shape, not sailed and will be considerably colder than Wi sites.
Green Lake at Spicer has been sailed and reported to have some new stiff snow covering the lake.
Ice conditions the past few years at Lake Lotawana, MO have been sparse at best. There is no ice on our lake so far, but our winter is approaching. We have a Nite and an Arrow, and are pursuing heading north to sail. Possible lake are Okobogi, White Bear, Madison, WI or wherever in MN or WI. If we have sufficient room we might bring my Dragonfly Ice Sled tool
We would like to sail with the safety and knowledge of others and are asking for contacts.
Any help or advice would be graciously accepted.
Terry Haug cell: 913.406.2700
no snow there, clear ice. on way to western regionals in wis (assuming). dave and I are prob going, plus mike miller, anyone else? also sailing going on there wed. call markham, 608-498-1897. flyer
Per Flyer: Too much Snow in Tonka Bay. We are not going to set up this morning.
Main lake or upper lake still a very remote possibility. However, no credible ice reports have been reported for the main lake or the upper lake.
If you venture out onto Lake Minnetonka DO NOT sail alone. Check the ice! Don't be stupid.
mike bloom and tom meyer plan on setting up at the Tonka bay beach if not too much snow fri night. flyer
Only a week away from the Westerns! Keep me updated on ice conditions in your area at email@example.com.
Or 612-868-2949. Lake Minnetonka in Minneapolis area will be sailed today and hope the warm weather has healed it up. A permit to use the lake is being obtained so could be an option. Some snow is predicted for some of the Western Region, followed by a cold week. I expect a weekend update from Green Lake at Spicer this weekend. Pepin appears to be in a 3 inch snow band tonight!
How about Wisconsin again? Kegonsa, or will the cold arrive in time to obtain a new lake?